Come and walk with us when the sun goes down, and you’ll get an exclusive opportunity to walk inside the gates of one of Charleston’s oldest graveyards after dark. When all the other walking tours are looking in through the wrought iron fence, you’ll be on the inside. Explore the graveyard’s dark corners, closely inspect the headstones to see what you might learn, and take a moment to step across the graves — if you dare. Learn about the history of Charleston’s graveyards, and hear the stories of the famous individuals who found their final resting place in the Holy City. You’ve heard the spooky Charleston ghost stories, right? Well, now you can experience them on this up-close-and personal tour that takes you where others won’t. Graveyards are endearing pockets of Charleston — so much so that they are often referred to here as simply “gardens.” We love them — they’re full of history, intrigue and tales of love and loss.
Hear about Charleston’s spirits and gruesome tales:
- The ghost of Sue Howard, a grieving mother who prays at the grave of her dead child from the spirit world. We’ve got the picture to prove it!
- The Great Nullifier, famous Rebel warrior John C. Calhoun. Find out why he and his wife still dance in the street every year, for over 150 years running!
- Tales of being buried alive! Doctors in old Charlestowne didn’t take chances with contagious diseases. Fall unconscious in a hospital, wake up in a grave!
- Learn why the terms saved by the bell and graveyard shift were coined. You’ll be glad you weren’t around when they were!
Don’t forget your flash cameras! You never know what phantom images you can capture…
Call 843-722-8687 to make a reservation!
- “I’m slightly obsessed with graveyards. I wanted to see some of Charleston’s while I was here” – Amherst, VA
- “The tour was so fun! Keep up the great work.” – Amy from Charlotte, NC
- “Our tour guide was awesome! This was our favorite tour of the trip!” – Amherst, VA